Neelgar is a contemporary fashion design company, established in 2005 by entrepreneur Kamaldeep Kaur. The company bears the hallmark of her vision and excellence featuring traditional twists with rare craft and design techniques, up-cycled fabrics and astute workmanship in each of the creations.
Kamaldeep Kaur is a diploma holder in fashion designing from New Delhi. She consistently experimented with Shibori methods developing the technique to the ultimate level.
She formed her first company DAMASK 1997. She has collaborated on various projects with the Ministry of Textiles and NIFT. Her work on design development and technical development with small craft communities in villages of western India was highly appreciated.
She formed a new company Neelgar in 2005. With Neelgar, Kamaldeep has concentrated on experimenting with natural dyes. She designed innovative silk scarves, stoles, saris, shawls, yardage, and garments.
Having started operations with 8 female artisans two decades earlier, Neelgar is presently committed to providing work to Approx. 850 craftspeople, 365 days a year, aiding them to achieve financial independence.
Neelgar is committed to reviving dying crafts and sub-crafts by training more craftspeople to enhance their skills with contemporary design upgrades. Kamaldeep also conducts workshops, from basic to advanced techniques, in Leheriya, Bandhani and Block printing using natural dyes to varied institutions and professionals.
Kamaldeep has showcased her work in 25+ countries through design and museum shows and held workshops related to Shibori, printing and natural dyes techniques.
She has also written articles written that have appeared in many Indian and international magazines in several languages. She has written a book on block printing too.
MIAT-Museum Over Industrie arbied en textile- Belgium, Netherlands
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
University of Art and Design Halle, Burg Giebichenstein, Germany
2012 Denkinger Filz, Germany – ”Block printing fabric like in India
Metropolitan museum of arts, NY, USA
Workshop on Handlooms and handicrafts entrepreneurship, New Delhi
VISION, MISSION & VALUES
Neelgar envisions creating fashion for future museum collections, with a brand to connect with future generations with impeccable quality and innovation. The firm also believes in fair trade to makers and buyers, promoting fair margins, and better returns to makers, who assure extensive and fine workmanship. Also, we stick to biodegradable fabrics and natural dyes only.
Paper Presentations & Lectures
- 2016, 17th October Metropolitan museum of arts, NY, USA-paper presentation – My textile journey
- 2015, Fiber arts; Newfoundland and Labrador and international textile conference in Canada
- 14th-18th October 2015 – Paper on “How to take people with strong traditional skills and create products to find success in contemporary markets”
- 2014-International forum on Natural Dyes and WEFT, Taiwan,
- October 2014 – Paper presentation ” Satara printing –’The story of the survival of natural dyes’ “
- 2014 – 6th June – Presentation –”Textile craft-tie and dye techniques from around the world”- at, Institute of Indian interior designers, Ahmedabad
- 2012, ISEND WEFT, WASTE TO WEALTH, the International natural dye symposium in Kuching, Malaysia – Poster presentation- Standardization of dye materials and processes of selected shades – red, black, and yellow
- 2010, 15 June, University of Art and Design Halle, Burg Giebichenstein, Germany Lecture –presentation of Indian textile techniques
- 2004, 15-16 October, Lecture on –product design, diversification and scope of quality control
- Lecture/ training programme for professionals in the field of design and marketing in Organization – (FLO/HSF=FICCI LADIES ORGANISATION/ HANNS SEIDEL FOUNDATION, GERMANY)